So I survived my first Public Breakdown.
I know I didn't have any brilliant moments. My brain shut down and was working on "stressed out mommy mode". I am sharing this because i know we have all lived through it and I was wondering if anyone else had a brilliant idea on how to deal with public tantrums.
I had always heard that if your in the grocery store you leave all your food behind, get to the car and wait for it to end...or go home. This way you teach your child that this behavior is not acceptable.
Well it almost worked in my story. First we weren't in the grocery store. Second we couldn't make it to the car right away because Little Wicket needed to go potty. Here's the story:
We were at the mall. Little Wicket and My Monkey were playing in one of the little play areas. You know with the huge foam obstacles, spongy floor, and the benches for grown ups to sit and play on their phones while their children are bouncing off the walls. Anyway it was time to go and I had to fight with Little Wicket and My Monkey at the same time to get shoes on. Then I had to physically drag them out of the play area. At this point Little Wicket (LW) starts to scream. He's dragging his feet and pulling his arm out of my grip so he can go back. Calmly I try to explain that it's time to go home and eat some lunch. ( I know he is hungry and tired). As we are getting close to the exit ( and freedom from looks I know I am getting) LW states that he has to go potty. So we go to the nearest bathroom, and he plays. So we go. LWscreams louder. We get out the door and LW pulls a Dead body move. I get him to a bench and I ask if he needs to go potty? He tells me he does, so we try again. And again nothing. He decides that none of the potties are good enough for him. We try to leave again and he is kicking and screaming and punching. I really hope I looked more composed than I felt. I am trying to carry him to the car while he is flailing about and pull My Monkey a long too. In my mind I just need to get to the car and go home.
About 3 feet away LW reaches a new level of furry. We stop and try to talk it out again. I told LW I was going to the car to drop off a bag, and then we would go to another store and try to go to the bathroom again! And suddenly, I don't know why or how...but he stopped screaming. I remained as chipper as I could while we went to the bathroom, trying not to set him off again. We got to the car in peace, and our seat belts on in peace. And then I took my sweet time getting back into the car. What a mess!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My second daughter had a complete meltdown at the library when she was 2(? I think). Anyway, when she gets upset, she gets even more upset if you touch her or talk to her. So I was trying to let her ride it out. Also she is very large for her age, and when she gets upset, she gets very physically, and I felt physically unable to carry her out of the library in that state.
ReplyDeleteWell after a few minutes a librarian comes up and asks if I need any help. I explain that she is having a tantrum. Well it comes to it, the librarian really wasn't tryin to help me, she was trying to kick me out. I got really mad at the librarian, like I wanted my kid to be disrupting the entire place, but she wasn't wearing shoes, wouldn't put them on, and I really didn't know how to carry her out. I think the librarian finally got that I wasn't only frustrated with my daughter, but I was really frustrated with that lady.
Finally my daughter calmed down enough that I could carry her out. The ironic thing is my friend had a similar situation, her daughter flipping out at the library, and my friend continued to go about her business, and didn't let her 3 year old on the floor screaming bother her, and people came up and complimented her and told her what a good job she was doing, instead of trying to kick her out of the library